Séamus Albert Coleman

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Ultrasound today

I drove up to Portland again today to see the perinatologist. I first had a full ultrasound, then they did a non-stress test (NST), then talked with Dr. Lubarsky a bit. The ultrasound went great. Séamus is (about) 4 pounds 6 ounces, which puts him in the 75th percentile! Looks like I'll have another big boy on my hands :) He is breech, but my fluid levels are good and this is my third pregnancy so he should have enough room to flip before labor. If not the doctor was talking about c-sections...but she's not the delivering doctor, so we'll see what the doctors at OHSU have to say about that! And I've been looking at some different positions/stretches and things you can do to encourage the baby to flip into a more favorable position at www.spinningbabies.com. 


The NST went great also. It was initially scheduled because my 1-hour glucose screening results were one point above normal and instead of doing the 3 hour screening I chose to monitor my blood sugar at home. The NST is a normal appointment for anyone with gestational diabetes. My blood sugar numbers have been great, but this was a precautionary step to take. It's not really a big deal anyways. They put two monitors on my belly (much like when you're in labor). One monitor to read the baby's heart rate and the other to record movements. They record the movements and heart rate for 20 minutes. Séamus performed well; he was very active and his heart rate responded as expected when he moved around. 


My next appointment has been scheduled with Dr. Lubarsky in two weeks. It will just be a standard appointment, no ultrasound or NST this time. Then two weeks later I will get to meet a perinatologist at OHSU where I will be delivering and I'll also have another echo for Séamus' heart that week (hopefully the same day). 





1 comment:

  1. wow. I can't believe how clear and sweet those pictures are. such a sweet baby. I love the pictures of his sweet little lips. I'm sure he can't wait to meet you and feel your tender kisses

    ReplyDelete